Pages

Saturday 29 September 2012

Incredible Eyes

Dear Internet,
I think I write songs better after I read something good amazing; it always inspires me if it makes me think. I never connected with anything after I finished the Harry Potter series, or The Hunger Games trilogy - I just thought "Oh, it's over. Well that was nice.", and that was it. No smiles, or anything like that (which is a bit anticlimatic if you ask me).
But some of the fiction I read grips me. It holds on to me tightly, and whether it's online or in paper I have to read it constantly, as if I'd lie awake at night pondering over the next chapter's title and what it could mean. It suffocates me with its enchanting words, the tendrils of the pentameter reel me in with their rhythmic beat... and I never forget those words. I run to my songbook and the tune hust spills of me - - if I think it, it's there, and the tune will not leave me alone for the rest of the day; I find myself humming it even whilst listening to other music, and although I knew a lot about the Industrial Revolution already (the one in Britain first, but also the revolution which spread), I had an urge to pour my feelings into this one song, and my tune. Considering this was after reading a short story of around 15,000 words, I think thats pretty deep.

So here goes, the lyrics to a verse only (verse 2):

Saw the machines being built
In those satanic, dark mills.
There is no compensation
And every single nation...
They see the blood disguised as rust,
They see ashes, say it's dust.
If you want to live your life you can't
Because you're just not quite (worth it).

So the damage of a revolution is as great as its innovation is the message I was trying to get across. In verse 1a/2 (it's before the 1st chrous, but after the first verse, so I dunno,), this verse, nobody wants to admit that these 'great' ideas might not be as great as they thought, and that people were being tortured by the machines they saw being built; the places that had to exist to make bigger and better machines turned out to be the monsters: bigger and more malevolent than anything that had occupied this Earth previously.
So I got this all from a story.
I think I write much better songs when I'm inspired by great literature, I'm sure of it.

Love, Bronwyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment