Pages

Sunday 30 September 2012

What to Do When...

...You Have One of Potentially the Biggest Decisions of Your Life Coming Up.
(Dear Reader,)
I was hoping you could tell me.
I have to choose my GCSEs soon (it's an exam for 14-16 year olds in the UK), and I don't know what to choose. Problems of the first world, right? But I don't have a clue what I want to do in life, okay, I know I don't want to go into sciences... but I have to potential to. I'm in the top 2.5% of the year in academic terms and this means all of the teachers want me to take their subject for the exams - furthermore, I want to take arts; literature, art (well, duh), drama, music and all that jazz. My mother says I should 'go live my wants and dreams out', and my dad says 'Drama and art aren't sustainable subjects and won't get you anywhere in life; they especially won't get you rich.' this is because my mam's an artist and my dad used to enjoy music (he wanted to have a career in it), but my dad got nowhere and he is suggesting that I could do something great with my ability to absorb information.
So, yeah.
Another point to mention is that of course, I do want to do art, drama or music (etc) - but I know that these are harder paths to go down because basically anyone can pick up a pencil, slip into a role or plonk a few notes on a piano, but not everyone can figure out the workings of a human body, unearth the structure of an atom, or calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle very easily.
I can(ish)/have the extremely strong potential to do so.
Aaahh.
Plus, I go to a work-obsessed school whose teachers love to give out homework to straight-A, top-set-for-everything students such as myself.
17 pieces a week, come on!
That's... 8 months (I think) in a school year, roughly 4 weeks per month... 8 x (17 x 4) = 544. So, give or take a few, we've got roughly 550 pieces of homework a year. Help me. To refrase that, half a thousand pieces of homework a year. That's too much for a 13 year old girl such as myself. Aaaaahh.

Let me go and finish said homework.
Bronwyn /):3(\

No comments:

Post a Comment